Running an international writing studio has been one of the most enriching and eye-opening literature experiences of my life. Every day, I engage with clients from all corners of the world, each bringing unique perspectives and unlocking new genres I don't often indulge that much about, let alone write about. (Before I started my commissions, I had always wrote in 1st POV, but now I am more than ever, adept to 3rd POV, and I've even brought it to my own personal projects.) Yet, despite region differences, I’ve found one thing that seem to always unite us all—the love of stories! Whether it’s discussing intricate world-building, compelling character arcs, or the emotional depth of a well-written series, stories serve as a common ground that bridges gaps and fosters creativity across borders.
But beyond the vast array of voices, one of the most profound aspects of my journey has been meeting and working with clients who have diverse communication needs, including neurodivergent individuals.
Approximately 10% of my client base is on the spectrum (or at least, that's how I experienced, and constantly came to said conclusion, based on how their method of communications kept reminding me of), and I have found that the way they communicate and relay their stories isn’t always straightforward, but I always make an effort to bridge communication despite the hurdles. Some rely on intricate details, and needled over specific elements of their story until I got it right; while others express ideas in a non-linear or highly conceptual manner, leaving me to fill in a lot of the gaps and wonder if I was heading to the right direction they envision, until their next communication. Understanding their unique perspectives has reinforced how important it is to tailor my communication skills towards each individual, ensuring that every client feels comfortable, heard, and supported. (Though sometimes, certain things can still slip through my grasp.)
Additionally, I’ve had the privilege of working with clients who are neurodivergent individuals, and the experience has been both humbling and rewarding. These clients bring a raw honesty to their stories, often infused with rich emotion and sincerity. However, not all that they intend to happen in the story, is included in their notes, which makes it difficult for me to anticipate their needs, especially when they suddenly cornered me with their sudden dissatisfaction and anger.
This is when the need for a more patient, adaptable, and compassionate approach to communicate are most needed to safe the situation (before a barely-started ongoing project sinks before it can set sail for long— fostering good relationships with clients are key to long-term partnership between studio and clients, for further incoming projects). Some clients prefer visual storytelling techniques, and little to else when it comes down to explanations in words; while others thrive with more structured guidance — to the point that every factor and element of the story they envision must be depicted and interpreted accurately, in the exact same perspective that they see it (thus where many revisions come to play). Understanding and respecting these needs has allowed me to create an environment where every client, regardless of their background or cognitive style, feels supported and empowered.
Despite my dedication, there are times when communication differences create challenges, and not every client finds my approach to be the right fit. While I always strive to adapt and bridge gaps, I understand that not every collaboration will work out 100%, and it’s always bittersweet to see someone move on.
One of the biggest takeaways from working with such a diverse client base is the necessity of accessibility in the writing industry. Traditional publishing often sets rigid expectations, such as story rating, which rather limits how far a story twist can be taken. Mainstream media don’t accommodate different ways of thinking and processing information. That’s why I prioritize flexibility when it comes down to catering to my clients' literary needs—whether it’s breaking down complex feedback into digestible pieces, using alternative methods of communication like voice notes or visual aids during my writing, to help depict the environment of the scenes better, and helping me refresh during proofreading, or simply taking the time to listen and adapt to each client’s comfort level.
Of course, it’s not always a smooth road. Miscommunications happen. Ego and processing delays can pose challenges in a story production. But by fostering an atmosphere of patience, respect, and understanding, we can bridge that gap and foster a trustworthy working relationship. (Or I failed, and they bolted.) Some have gone from struggling to articulate their ideas, to confidently crafting entire manuscripts, allowing me in turn to translate their notes into full-ledged stories.
At the heart of it all, writing is about connection. And when you create a space where every mind—neurotypical and neurodivergent alike—feels valued, the results are nothing short of extraordinary. Running this studio has reinforced one simple truth: there are many ways to interpret an idea, but what matters is whether the client is satisfied with how the scenarios turn out. (And if they don't, I do try to alter the script to suit their needs.)
I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Comments
Post a Comment
Visit our shop: https://sites.google.com/view/writing-commission
Discord us: WritingCommission#6065 http://discordapp.com/invite/MeKuC9G